Thursday, January 9, 2014

Book Review-Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)

Moshyoke arymasen, (Japanese for my deepest apologies-even though the English wording is probably totally screwed up) for posting so late compared to usual, I try to post before 6, but cookie making  (and eating!) cannot be rushed! :)

It has been brought to my attention that my lime typing is hard to read, especially on the mobile version so I'm trying to make it easier to read by highlighting it in black, and using it less. Is this better? If not let me know, I'll see what else I can do!

Since yesterday's WoW was about Cress, the third book in the Lunar Chronicles I thought it would make sense to have my next review on Cinder, the first of the series.

11235712
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 387
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Dystopia, Paranormal, Romance, Fairy Tales, Retellings
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
That was the summary from Goodreads (you didn't think for a second I could write such a nice summary, did you?)
My own summary goes a bit like this:
Cinder is a dystopian retelling of the princess story, Cinderella. Cinder is a cyborg, living rather unhappily with her adoptive mother and two sisters. Her adoptive father was the one who brought her to the family, but unfortunately died of the incurable plague, letumosis, very soon after, long before the story even begins. Suddenly, circumstances bring not only the Crown Prince Kai of New Beijing into Cinder's life, but also that of the Lunar queen. Thrust into being the sole savior of all the Earthens, Cinder must uncover her mysterious past and protect all those who shun her for what she is.
Not too bad, right? Even if I did borrow some stuff from the original summary...anyway, reasons why I like Cinder:
I'm not going to gush on how Cinder is an amazing character, or how nice Prince Kai is, like I did in my review of The Fault in our Stars. While the characters are indeed amazing, that's not Cinder's finest feature. I like Cinder because of the creative plot and intricate details of the world of Cinder. If Cinder wasn't set in a dystopian world, I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be as good, though I'm sure Marissa Meyer would've been able to pull it off. This retelling of Cinderella is like no other, refreshing, unexpected and unique. I gave it I give it a full five stars! And yes that may not seem like much since that's also what I gave to The Fault in our Stars, but of coarse I would review books I love first!
That's it for today! Come back tomorrow for bashing, updates and more. Again sorry for the late post.
--Black&Lime

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I was thinking about reading Cinder because it looks like a pretty good book. Now that you said that Marissa Meyer is such a good author, I think I'll pick up a copy!

    p.s. you should do a TMI review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I'm glad I could influence your decision. And I do plan to do them soon.

      Delete
  2. I started reading Cinder and it is really great! I'm so glad you suggested it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, I'm glad you like it! I'm always happy to introduce new reading material to people :)

      Delete