Friday, January 10, 2014

Friday Randomness/Percy Jackson Movie Bashing

So, I've decided Fridays are going to be random, meaning even though I will be doing a post of some sort, it'll never be about the same thing and won't be about anything too particular (like updates, questions and the like) though I might set something special every now and then. Such as today, I shall be bashing-as in complaining and critiquing-The Percy Jackson Movie compared to the book. (by Rick Riordan)

Every person I have spoken to on the matter has said the movie itself was good, and the people they know that have seen the movie but have not read the books enjoyed the movie. Everyone including myself (sort of-explanation on the matter to come) that has read the books then watched the movie (I can't say specifically about those that read the books after watching the movie, I have no data there) have hated the movie-very, very much. I've actually had people practically beg me to bash the movies, so hear it is. Starting out with a list inconsistencies from book to movie.
********WARNING SPOILERS********
DO NOT CONTINUE UNLESS YOU HAVE READ THE LIGHTNING THEIF

1. In the books they are 12, but in the movies they are 16
2. Annabeth is supposed to have curly blonde hair and gray eyes, instead she has straight brown hair and blue eyes
3. Clarisse the bully of Camp Half-blood is not even in the movie at all
4. In the movie Percy has a shield wristwatch he was not given until the second book and even more to the point it is given to him by the wrong person and plays  a significance in the movie which it did not have in the book
5. Ares, in the books, plays a significant role, but hardly even appears and has little impact to the movie
6. Percy and Annabeth only form a steady friendship near the end and sometimes even struggle to get along, yet in the movie seemed quite attracted to each other, and there was even a deleted kiss scene non-existent in the book
7. Electronic devices  of any kind are a complete no-no to half-bloods because they send out signals to monsters, yet in the movie Percy has an iPod touch with him and he even uses it as a reflective object to fight Medusa as opposed to a glass ball in the book, and Luke has all kinds of electronics in his cabin
8. Percy has no idea of his parentage until he is claimed, in the movie he isn't even claimed, everyone knows who his father is from the start and Percy finds out as soon as he comes to camp half-blood
9. Percy has a great control of his powers he does not even close to possess until the fourth book in the series
10. Percy does not formally meet Annabeth until later and are on separate teams for capture the flag

This list will go on forever, these are just a few things, I would list more but I have a few other things I want to touch on while I still remember them, for a complete list of problems with the movie compared to the book, go here.

Now you may be wondering why I've been reviewing books I've read it forever ago, aren't I reading something currently?

The answer to that question is yes indeed I am reading something currently, I am almost always reading something. Currently I am reading the fourth Sherlock Holmes, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. The reason I haven't been reviewing the Sherlock books is because I'm not sure if you guys would want to read reviews of them, being old and all. I have no problem reviewing them, but I want to know if you guys do so, as soon as I post this I will add a poll and I will simply request you to vote yes or no to posting reviews of the Sherlock Holmes series. It will not hurt my feelings in anyway if you vote no!

Before I sign off I just wanted to tell you guys about a blog a friend of mine started today, called Diaries of a High School Fangirl. If the name wasn't clue enough, this will be her blog where she fangirls about things like TV shows, Movies and books. I also made a new links list if which her blog is included, be sure to check it out.

--Black&Lime






No comments:

Post a Comment