Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Book Review-The Fault in our Stars

Hola dear readers! (As you can see I have not decided on what to call you yet...) I had the made the goal to post one or two reviews each week, and since Waiting on Wednesday is tomorrow I decided to post a review today.

Since yesterday's Movie Monday post was about The Fault in our Stars I thought it would be appropriate to do this review on it as well (...in retrospect I probably should have done the review first)

I already posted a summary of my own as well as the official one from goodreads on yesterday's Movie Monday post, so I'm not to do that again, instead I'm just going to dive right in.

The Fault in our Stars by John Green is an amazing story about a girl with cancer. It's average in size, (313 pages) not too long or unenjoyably short. Hazel's character is just what one might expect from a person battling cancer. She had her ups and downs but you can't call her whiny or weak, nor overly  accepting of her fate. (i.e. she somewhat accepts, or for a better word: understands she's going to die young but isn't not affected by it in any way) She does try to be strong for family, which is really just her parents. She doesn't let her ever-present oxygen tank let her down, but neither is she perkily optimistic that she will be cured and all will be fine. And let's not forget Augustus, the one who changes Hazel's story completely. They meet at a cancer support group, so it's no secret he too has cancer. There's much to Augustus that I could tell you but, I guarantee it's much better reading about him yourself, and it's too hard to describe him in my own words (they do him no justice), he's the guy that keeps just keeps surprising you.

This is a book everyone can enjoy. If you have something against sad books (no I don't consider that a spoiler, sorry if you do, but this is a story about people with cancer-it's going to be sad) then this is the one exception you should make. This book will make you smile and laugh, cry (eventually all-out bawling your eyes out) and re-think life. I have heard nothing but praise for this book and I definitely agree. I would recommend this book for anyone that knows how to read. Well...actually I should probably think that through. Let me rephrase. Anyone about 13+ that knows how to read. That is my own suggested reading age, if you want something more official find it yourself (no guarantee you'll find one though.) :)

I apologize in advance for any mistakes and such, and for the fact that it lacks detail. I actually read this book early last year and I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. I probably shouldn't even do this review until I re-read the book, but I just really wanted to do it. And imagine if I love it so much now, a year after reading it, then imagine how much I initially loved and gushed at it.

Goodbye for now! Don't forget to check back tomorrow for my first Waiting on Wednesday post.

--Black&Lime

No comments:

Post a Comment